CCAA Youth Initiative Program (YIP) has been in place for 15 years. CCAA has completed four multi-year youth skills-development programs and is now set to begin a fifth, called the Skilled Workforce for the Future II.
One of the most successful and important components of YIP is the CCAA high school curriculum, the Aviation and Aerospace Orientation Program. Since its inception in 1995, the Aviation and Aerospace Orientation Program program has grown to include over 20 schools across Canada.
Another consistent component over the years has been the Youth Initiatives Advisory Committee (YIAC), which was established to help guide the program and to assist with the development and review of new materials. The YIAC committee comprises all the Aviation and Aerospace Orientation Program instructors and has representation from the Air Cadet League and DND’s Directorate of Cadets.
More recently, this program has fostered a successful partnership with the Air Cadet League of Canada.
Some of the objectives of this latest program and products that will be developed are as follows:
- Expand the Aviation and Aerospace Orientation Program
- Update the Aviation and Aerospace Orientation Program curriculum (both the instructor guide and the on-line learning materials)
- Update the youth web site, and add information for parents and teachers
- Update CCAA's CareerLink job bank
- Expand the content of the Faces of the Future DVD