Part of CCAA’s mandate is to champion and encourage initiatives that develop the overall strength and economic well-being of the industry. With that in mind, CCAA administers, on behalf of the Federal Government the “Youth Sectorial Career Focus High-Demand Occupations Program” known as “Career Focus” for the aviation and aerospace industry.
The program provides a subsidy of 50% of a “new hire’s” salary, to a maximum contribution of $15,000 per employee.
The process is quick and efficient, with approvals usually provided within 24 to 48 hours from receipt by CCAA of the application.
Budget 2016 made a commitment to enhance the Youth Employment Strategy (YES) by providing "an additional funding to assist more young people in gaining tangible skills and experience. This funding will focus on connecting young Canadians with jobs in fields that are in high-demand." – HRSDC
This wage subsidy program, with funding provided by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), encourages employers in aviation and aerospace industry that employ high-demand occupations to hire, by offsetting the costs of induction for those who usually do not have extensive experience.
CCAA participates as the “recipient sponsor” for all aviation and aerospace related companies. As recipient sponsor, CCAA manages and administers the project, signs agreements with the employers and is responsible for overall financial management.
A general outline of the requirements for Employers and Participants (“New Hires”) is set out below.
Eligible Participants Must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the time of the selection;
- Not be in school;
- Be Canadian citizen, or permanent resident or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada; and in accordance with the relevant provicial / territorial legislation and regulations;
- Be post-secondary graduates;
- Not be receiving Employment Insurance benefits; and
- Provide a Social Insurance Number.
Employers Participating in the Program Must:
- Obtain approval before the employee is hired,
- Inform potential participant of what participation in the program would entail, and obtain agreement from participants;
- Use non-subjective eligibility criteria to establish eligibility of participant (based on the criteria listed above);
- Provide participant an opportunity for full-time work (i.e. at least 30 hours per week) for a minimum of 3 months;
- Provide to CCAA: proof of employment, start date, the contract with participant, full wage and benefits of participant, and a participant learning plan, as well as other relevant data on request.
- Must have a nepotism policy in place regarding participants;
- Consider hiring the youth participant(s) to fill available position(s) following the end of the work experience; and
- Attest to the incremental nature of the work experience position and of the employer's intent to consider retaining the participant after the completion of the work experience.
Please note that any person you wish to hire must be approved for the program by ESDC before they start work or the program will not cover them. Any employee already employed on a part-time basis is not eligible for the program.
For further information about the Wage Subsidy Program ( Career Focus ) please contact Philip Sims at 613-727-8272 extension 259 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .