CCAA’s National Labour Market Strategy Day took place on November 9th 2017 at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum. Our attendees this year included representatives of the major technical schools, the MRO community, operators, manufacturers, and of the associations and councils that support the industry by region, or by sub-sector. In addition, we were pleased to have representatives of Employment, Social Development Canada, ESDC, Transport Canada, TC, and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, ISED with us to discuss workforce strategies.
We used the day to discuss or learn about the following topics [in alphabetic order]:
- Aéro Montréal Outreach, Marie-Josée Kasparian; presentation here.
- Air Cadets of Canada Outreach, Scott Lawson; presentation here.
- Air Canada Training Innovation, Boyd Parsons; presentation here.
- Air Canada Work Integrated Learning Placements, Richard Steer; presentation here.
- Boeing Winnipeg Canada Indigenous / Aerospace Workforce Development Best Practices, Herman Hansen; presentation here.
- CCAA Labour Market Information Report 2017, Theresa Davis-Woodhouse; presentation here.
- Education Strategy Subcommittee Report, Robert Donald; presentation here.
- Labour Market Strategy Day Sponsors 2017; presentation here.
- Manitoba Aerospace AIM Day Outreach, Barbara Bowen; presentation here.
- MHICA Company Overview, Alex Tsoulis; presentation here.
- MTU Canada Apprenticeship Initiative 2017, Helmut Neuper; presentation here.
- New and Current CCAA Projects Report, Robert Donald and Theresa Davis-Woodhouse; presentation here.
- Outreach Strategy Subcommittee Report, Leslie Hogan; presentation here.
- Strategy Working Group and Subcommittee Participants; presentation here.
CCAA would like to thank the speakers listed above for their presence and hard work, as well as our other speakers; Benoit Tessier, Employment, Social Development Canada; Neil Lavoie, Red River College; Beverly Picton, Standard Aero; Carolyn Geddert P.Eng. University of Manitoba, and Tracey Dyer, Strategist.
CCAA will be circulating the summaries of the labour market strategy breakout sessions to all attendees within the next few weeks, and look forward to getting your feedback on these as well.
As we acknowledged during the strategy day, this work would not happen without our participants in the general working group, or those making up the sub-committees, and CCAA is very appreciative of your engagement and willingness to share your expertise. Those who made up these Labour Market Strategy committees throughout 2017 are listed in the Committees 2017 document.
If you, or someone you know, would like to join one of the CCAA Labour Market Strategy sub-committees: Outreach, Education or Labour Market Information, to help shape the strategy for the future of the workforce specifically for Aviation and Aerospace in Canada, please contact Robert Donald, Executive Director at 613 727-8272 ext. 222, or by email. Alternatively, you can sign up online, here.
CCAA has already received a great deal of excellent feedback about the event, and look forward to comments and suggestions you may not yet have had a chance to share with us. Click here to share your opinion.
As noted above, in the coming weeks, we’ll be circulating the report on the Strategy Day, including summaries of the ideas generated during the breakout sessions.
Once again, we would like to thank our sponsors, and our attendees, without whom this work would not happen.
Please contact Leslie Hogan, CCAA Project Manager, at 613 727 8272 ext 225, or firstname.lastname@example.org